Energy generated from the power of wind is among the most cost-efficient types of renewable energy. Wind can be used to make electricity almost everywhere on the planet.
Wind energy can rapidly and effectively decrease the dependence of the world economy on crude oil, natural gas and other fossils, and substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere. According to NREL, 1MW of wind energy prevents emission of about 2,600 tons of CO2.
German physicist Albert Betz is recognized as the author of the idea to make electricity using the power of moving air masses or wind. He is also known for developing the idea of a wind turbine device. The first wind turbine generator was built in Vermont in 1940s.
Wind turbines and other electrical equipment is the major item of expense in building a wind power plant. After the building is accomplished, the operating costs are minimal. The noise level of a wind turbine complies with the WHO’s residential areas requirements.
Wind power plants may be constructed both onshore and offshore (shelve or deepwater). The average operating wind speed of a turbine generator is about 13 to 90 km/h. The debut offshore wind power plant named Vindeby was built in Denmark in 1991 as a cooperation project of Danish energy giant DONG (now DONG Energy) and German Siemens.
Latest wind energy news
- RusHydro, Mitsui discuss wind power, geotermal cooperation
- Russia to launch 120 MW of renewable energy facilities in 2017
- Fröreda — onshore wind farm — 23 MW, Sweden, 2016
- Russia’s Energy Ministry May Raise Solar Energy Quotas
- Wind Hits Record Highs: 62 GW of Wind Capacities Installed by 2016
- Anholt – offshore wind farm — 400 MW, Denmark, 2013
- Belwind — offshore wind farm — 165 MW, Belgium, 2010
Latest or planned wind power events
- Oct 26-27, 2016 — Vind 2016: Wind energy exhibition, Stockholm (Sweden)
- Oct 25-27, 2016 — Energia 2016: Renewable energy exhibition, Tampere (Finland)
- Oct 11-12, 2016 – SEF 2016: Forum and exhibition of sustainable energy, Kyiv (Ukraine)
- Sept 27-29, 2016 — Power Nigeria 2016: Renewable energy exhibition, Lagos (Nigeria)
- Sept 21-23, 2016 — AIREC 2016: Renewable energy congress, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Sept 20-22, 2016 — Asia Power Week 2016: Renewable energy exhibition, Seoul (South Korea)
- Sept 13-14, 2016 — Colloque National Eolien 2016: Wind energy exhibition, Paris (France)
- Sept 7-8, 2016 — Mexican Energy Leaders 2016: Renewable energy exhibition, Mexico City (Mexico)
- Sept 1-3, 2016 — YLXNY 2016: Solar and wind energy exhibition, Yulin (China)
- Aug 30-Sept 1, 2016 — Brazil Wind Power 2016: Wind energy exhibition, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
Wind energy companies
- Aspiravi Group
- Colruyt Group
- DONG Energy
- EDP Renováveis
- Goldwind Global
- Mainstream Renewable Power
- Nordex Acciona
- Parkwind NV
- PNE Wind