Solar energy in Italy
The country is among the world’s solar power generation leaders. As of late 2015, Italy ranked third in the world after Germany and China in terms of installed solar (PV) capacity which totaled 18 GW (9% of all energy produced).
Geothermal energy in Italy
Italy-based Enel Green Power is one of the pioneers in the field of geothermal energy. In 1904 Italian Prince Piero Ginori Conti made numerous experiments to produce energy from steam in Tuscany. in 1913 the debut geothermal power plant in the world was launched in Larderello, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2013.
Presently Enel Green Power operates a complex of geothermal energy plants with a total capacity of 769 MW, also located in Tuscany.
Italy's latest energy market news
- Colombian Energy Minister: Latin America eyes 70% of renewable energy by 2030
- KGAL Sardinia – solar power plant (PV) – 53 MW, Italy, 2020
- Fiat Chrysler to test vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology
- France to build debut plant under European battery consortium
- Floating solar projects multiply around globe
- CEO of Enel plans developing renewable energy in Middle East